As I write this New York City is currently buzzing with all the dramatic excitement of September Fashion Week 2012. Home decor has long taken it’s inspiration from fashion, in keeping with this spirit I thought it would be fun to look at what fashion trends we can bring into our interiors.
In February I was a guest of Brizo during February Fashion Week and was lucky to attend the real live show of Jason Wu’s Fall/Winter 2012 Collection, which is what we see in the stores now. Let’s see what we can find to take from the runway to the living room.Details, details, details, it is all in the details.
- Nailheads are abundant with different shapes, sizes and colors to highlight the profile of furniture or other home decor items.
- Hang a big tassel on a doorknob for some extra oomph.
- Shimmery metallic fabrics make great draperies especially those with body which mimic a swishy ballgown.
- Of course we aren’t suggesting you bring back the lace doilies, not a chance, but lace-like fabrics and wallpapers will offer a nice texture to a room.
- Then there is the trim. Why should you love trim? Trim is the easy way to personalize any home decor item from pillows, to upholstered furniture, to draperies, heck it even looks great outlining a room or as stripes on a wall.
Translating fashion to home decor is how we keep our interiors fresh and interesting. Maybe that dress you fell in love with in the fashion magazine is not something you would wear, but you still love it. Take a closer look at the details, maybe there is an idea you can bring home. Have a great weekend!